Notices
Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

How many here fly full-scale?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 AM
avidflyguy
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many here fly full-scale?

started flying rc over 20 years ago, had a flightstar spyder ultralight, self taught to fly, transitioned to a preceptor n-3 pup taildragger, currently flying a b model avid flyer and building another avid, a c model heavy hauler with mark 4 mods. avids are awesome planes, 20-30 foot take off rolls, land on sandbars on wisconsin river to camp and fish. poor mans bush plane. local flying buddies have built a zenith 601, sonex/vw, we have a distributor for a light sport plane called cheetah ( midwest sport aviation) an rv-4 and numerous cubs. last year we had an quicksilver stolen out of the airport( n582vb flourescent orange and green), along with a motor stolen off another quicksilver,
Old 11-16-2012, 07:17 AM
maxmwill

Well, I have to confess that I do no fly full scale, and at this stage in my life, I most likely never will, unless it would be behind the controls of an ultralight. This is not to say that I never harbored the desire to get my ticket and then punch big holes in the sky; I just never got arround to it, whether due to a lack of finances, or simply circumstances in general(Life has a funny way of "getting in the way" of one's hopes and/or desires). Instead, I embarked upon a career as an A&P, which enabled me to "rub shoulders" with the flying machines I've always dreamed of being around(because after all, a real aeroplane has two wings and a round motor).

And now, at the young age of 56, with all the attendant degrading the body goes through(such as an increase in floaties in the old mk1 mod 1 eyeball, which would put a damper on any desire to fly), I'll have to either continue to keep my feet on the ground and buck rivets, finish up the latest dope and fabric project, or just help prop the engines on the DC3 that's about to take off, or decide which ultralight kit I'd like to build and learn how to smash bugs at 60mph.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:14 PM
rcsoar4fun
My Feedback: (12)

I have been flying r/c for way, way too long. IIRC I started when I was 8-9, so that works out to about 26 years. Geez, I'm getting old. :-)

I work at one of the largest helicopter repair depots in the world. Very cool stuff to see every day, but can't say I have any desire to fly in a full size heli.

Started flying full scale last year. Soloed around 12 hours, then took a long break when my son was born. Now I am sitting at 35 hours and starting checkride prep. So far all of it in a C172. Next spring I intend to add on my glider rating as well. In the next few years looking to build something, haven't decided what yet.

To anyone thinking of doing flying, its well worth all the trouble and expense if you can swing it. It's a lot of fun and won't be getting any cheaper until they get the electric power systems worked out.

To anyone worried about being too old or having health problems, look into the Light Sport stuff. No medical required and some of the LSA aircraft are pretty neat, much more capable than ultralights.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:42 PM
maxmwill

Worked at an FBO back in the early nineties which also trained people to fly helicopters. The boss was a former captain in the Army, and flew Blackhawks(he helped out with SAR after St. Helens blew her top). He retired out(at urging of his wife) and tried to teach people how to fly helos with, of all things, a Hiller UH23C(it had flown all through the Korean War, and was shipped back to the states to be put in storage. The log book was a fascinating read).

I learned to respect the Franklinstein engine, especially the fact that the starter/generator was on the very bottom of the engine, and could not tolerate liquids of any kind or in any quantity(such as oil, and the Franklin was a leaky beast).

He took me up for my first helo ride, after we had finally gotten the blessings from the local FAA inspector(while the boss did hover it off the trailer after buying it and bringing it to the hangar, we still had many months to get her up to snuff).

We were at 2500 feet, when the engine burped. The boss and I looked at each other, when the engine burped once more, only harder. He called the tower and declared an emergency, and we got down really fast(not as fast as an autorotation or even a rotor stoppage might've been).

He shut down, I went into the hangar and got the wheels and the bar to help put the wheels on, and I got her into the hangar.

Started pulling plugs, and found the electrodes covered in little balls.

The balls were magnetic.

That told me that something very serious had gone wrong with the transmission, so the boss, his 2nd in command(it was a three man shop), and I moved the chopper under the chain hoist, and we prepped the machine to pull the rotor/transmission/engine off the machine.

I helped tear the tranny apart and found a couple gears and one of the bearing were just about digested. The transmission has oil common to the engine. The mercury clutch, of which we had 3 extra spares, was fine.

Had we kept flying for any longer, the crash would've been quite unpretty.

The Hiller was fun, but the boss didn't want to teach anyone to fly with a Robinson(he said he got a better deal on the Hiller).

As far as my wanting to fly, yes, LSA might be the way to go, but if I can get away with having a Pietenpol on that ticket, then I wouldn't mind(I worked at a radial engine repair station, in a blast booth blasting cylinder jugs, and one of the other guys had me blasting Model T and Model A engine blocks for Piets, and that was a lot of fun. I later helped him build a Piet for someone, and that was quite a learning experience, especially when he asked me to build a 1/4 scale model of one with scrap spruce from the project we were building. That was an interesting experience, because I could keep checking scale fidelity not only against the plans, but als against the full size version. He also had me help him build ribs for Stearmans).
Old 11-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Mooney_driver

ORIGINAL: Rv7garage

Just curious to see how many of us are also paying dues to the FAA! Seriously, I'm curious about percentages- how many folks out there started with an R/C trainer, moved up, and eventually tried the real thing?
Actually Iwent the other way. Istarted out with a full sized airplane then took up RC. A couple years out of high school I started taking lessons along with co workers (1972). Our FBO had a Cessna 172 and a 150. Time was $22 per hour wet, with an instructor for the 150. Iwent for my check ride but got sick in the process. Istuck my head out the window to throw up and...my glasses took off without a parachute! I was better prepared the second time around and got my license. Then Iwent out and bought a 1961 Mooney MK21 model 20B (N74531) with a 180hp Lycoming engine and manual retracts. It was the first all metal Mooney.

2 years later Imoved to the Denver area. Ihad Clinton Aviation do the annual. They crashed my prized Mooney on the hangar floor and then charged me to fix their screw up. Ithen moved to New Mexico where all the Navcoms were stolen. That was enough for me so Iarranged with my old FBO and instructor (then owner of the FBO) to sell my plane so Iflew it back to Idaho and parked it.

I used to check to see where N74531 was based at the time but the last time Ichecked Ifound that it had moved to Kentucky and was being cannabalized and the parts sold.

2 weeksafter ferrying my plane back to Idaho Igot word that the instructor/owner had taken a passenger to Missoula, MT and was enroute back where he crashed the Cessna 180 with one person onboard and his 5 year old son. 7 months later a summer fire spotter was out walking a half mile from his fire tower where he found the wreckage in heavy timber. The 2 adults died on impact but the 5 year old son had lived for a while and was found outside under a wing where bears had eaten him.

Then the original owner of the FBO boughtthe operationback. A year later he rode with a friend in a newly overhauled C182 from Orofino (elevation 1000 feet) enroute to Cour D Alene and crashed 6 miles down the road within full site of the main highway and 2 small commuties. That was at 6AM. At 6pm a search was called and then people just looked up to spot the wreckage in full view. Both died on impact.

That was enough for me. Ihave not flown since but did take up RC flying since it is a lot safer and a lot cheaper!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:05 PM
rcsoar4fun

I have spent a lot of time in Idaho and it is a place I would live in a heartbeat if I could find a job. I love it a lot. However, Idaho is no place to be screwing around on the ground or in the air.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 PM
P-39 fan

My Father got his Private Pilot's license in 1955. I obtained mine in 1967.Started flying RC in 1968. My father had owner a Cessna 140, Cessna 175 Skylark, a Cessna 210 and the one I flew- a brand new 1968 Cessna 182 Skylane. Along the way, I flew Cessna 150, 172, 177, Piper Cherokee 140 to 235, Aero Commander Lark and Darter. Have stayed with scale RC for 45 years.- glow for 30 yrs, electric for the last 15
Old 01-27-2013, 12:43 AM
tc-62

Yo Bret , keep talking we like what your saying
Old 01-27-2013, 02:13 AM
tc-62

der I wuz. As you all know any story from a Vet. starts that way.Pease AFB New Hampshere,1985ish,I got a awared for the best plane in SAC. Well wo wo thanks for doing your job, I know what your thinking. Anyway, I got a flight in a FB-111A . I don't know if anyone other than a pilot of those aircraft can realy grasp and understand the power of two tf30-p107 with after burner .Well her'es the deal, first ,with the brakes on, the engines compresses the nose strut till it cluncks on the bottom. That's 18000 lbs x 2. The pilot looks a the EGR ,checks good , then he askes the tower for permition to take off. Granted ,the pilot releases the brake and the aircraft lurches forward with the nose strut "cluncking " on the up side. With wings full forward, @345K,he let me have the stick. It handled worse than a172, hold on he says , we'll go out beyond the isle of sholes. .9 MACH wings swept to 72 deg. straight up ,straight down, sea sky sea sky sea sky sky sea waahhhat ,Momma. My "instuctor" pilot was just exelent, allthogh, I think he lost a bet about making me through up.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:00 PM
hankjackson

Hi, I'm another one lucky enough to grow up in an airplane. My Dad started taking lessons at 14...still has a medical and flies at 84. Still sharp too. I soloed a Cub after my 16th bday and flew a variety of planes over the years. Mostly antique stuff, late 20's and early 30's, many very rare. Got my multi engine in a 1939 Lockheed 12-A. I restored and owned 1934 Waco UMF NC14031 (airplane the subject of Paul Matt's drawings) for38 years. Started building models at an early age and we started getting into RC in the mid-late 60's, although Dad had some early stuff from the 50's. and had been an avid modeler since age 8. Have not done too much modeling in the last 10 years, but I'm starting to do rubber scale to eflight conversions. Still think building is half the fun, even if time consuming!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:12 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I learned to fly at Henley Aerodrome (now Silverwood) in Athol Idaho which was a great place to hang out. Lots of museum quality planes in the hangars and some rather famous pilots to jaw with over a cup of coffee. Saw the maiden flight of Samson there after Steve Wolf built that incredible Pitts. Years later I bought a Horton STOL Cessna 182 with a 3 blade and 206 gear and had a lot of fun flying it in and out of the tamer mountain strips. Those were great days and a part of me regrets parting with that -182.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Arrowflyer
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started flying full scale when I was 18. My dad was an engineer for Boeing for 38 years. His first project was the B-17 and progressed up through the 747. Did all my math homework on the back of old computer print outs of the landing gear specs on the 747. Been in my blood since birth. Been flying full scale for 38 years most of it in a Piper Arrow. Started flying RC about 15 years ago, what a blast!. Still fly an Arrow and take care of the maint on it. Love making small design changes on the RC stuff to make them fly better or better yet FASTER Yes, have seen some awesome structural failures How much more fun can you have!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:40 PM
vulcancruiser

I soloed in 1969 in an almost new 150 that was $12 an hour wet!...........lol.........airlines weren't hiring pilots so I had fun in operations for 38 years.  Finally got my Private in 1995.  Started flying RC in 1972 and have been one of the addicted ever since,  started off soaring at Torrey Pines.......the Mecca of the glider world.  Been a great time..........and count yourself fortunate if you've gotten to see the planet from 10,000ft or higher..........a really surreal thrill................... 

Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 PM
RV7guy

57 now. Started models when I was about 6. U-control, Cox PT-19. First RC at 10. Competed in Pattern for a few years. Dad taught me building skills. Love building but not many "real" kits out there now. No breaks in RC since I started.

Graduated in 1973. I wanted to be a fighter pilot but the AF wasn't taking anyone as Nam wound down. Same with helicopters. Got into Law Enforcement. Earned my PPL fixed wing in June of 1977, Helicopter in October of 1977. Spent 30 years in LE and flew quite a bit.

Retired for 3.5 years and built a Van's RV7. Was talked out of retirement to fly medical helicopters. I didn't have an Instrument ticket that was required. Got my IFR fixed wing and added on the Helo fixed wing. Got both IFR tickets in under 2 months.

Now flying medical helicopters in Casa Grande AZ. Member of Team Futaba and fly some small electrics at work. Hours of organized boredom allows me to bring planes to work to build. I have a mobile build center

I have over 700 hours on my RV7. I have another one about 3/4 completed that will be full IFR with dual screen EFIS systems, weather, auto pilot. I am very fortunate to live in a residential airpark. Hangar right out my kitchen door.

If you are really interested in full scale flying, consider building a plane. Any modeler with building skills and easily complete a full scale. Of course it is more but if you analyze what you spend on toys, it might within reach. I'll see if I can post a picture of my plane.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:15 AM
kirkrevu

5 years National Guard, lost my medical due to bad choice of parents, can never fly again. Want to try an A10 model with jets. Can it be done?
Old 01-03-2014, 06:35 PM
buzzard350
My Feedback: (2)

I'm with all you young guys- I've flown Free flights, RC, hang gliders and my F35 Bonanza. I love 'em all! Dollar for dollar, models are probably the most fun. Hang gliding is totally cool and memorable, and the old split tail Bonanza provides a great point of view on the world and flies real nice and light on the controls. I wish my wife liked flying better (actually I wish she liked it at all). Here's some shots of what I'm talkin' about.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	telluride flt2-16.jpg
Views:	1113
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	1954063   Click image for larger version

Name:	baja 95 at brown field.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1954064   Click image for larger version

Name:	meteor on the dirt.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1954065  
Old 01-04-2014, 07:02 AM
NIpilot
My Feedback: (6)

Love everything with wings or rotor blades. I currently fly my Waiex homebuilt full scale and have a dozen different models from nitro planes and helicopters to sailplanes and as of the last couple years some electric.
I really enjoy the Cularis powered sailplane.
New Years I got out and flew a nitro heli for first time since last June. Heli's in my opinion are going in the dumpster. If your model is more than about 2 yrs old the normal sources for parts are drying up at light speed. I tried yesterday to buy 600 mm flybar blades for a Raven 50 and Heliproz said nope. Don't sell them anymore because flybarless is killing the older models. The technology is changing so fast it obsolete's everything electronic you have about every two years.
Its turned the hobby into nothing but disposable toys.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:11 PM
rcsoar4fun

Just finished up my PPL in October. Had been one of those things I had wanted to do for a while and finally got it done at about 52 hours.

NIpilot - if you decide you want that flybar let me know, I have one NIP. I also have a used Raven and 50NX airframe...
Old 02-02-2014, 01:42 PM
jecchile
My Feedback: (3)

I started flying models in 1971 and got my Private Pilotīs certificate in 1975... donīt fly the real thing much anymore though... Iīm retired and its gotten too expensive.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:09 PM
Marty79

I went in reverse order. Flew full scale since 1983 and had a Cherokee 140 for about 10 years. Messed with R/C in the early 90's. Sold the Cherokee in 2011 and retired in 2012. and then got back into RC. I Think I like the building part most.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:36 PM
jecchile

Originally Posted by Marty79
I went in reverse order. Flew full scale since 1983 and had a Cherokee 140 for about 10 years. Messed with R/C in the early 90's. Sold the Cherokee in 2011 and retired in 2012. and then got back into RC. I Think I like the building part most.
I really enjoy building too... problem is that balsa models are hard to find anymore - everything is some type of foam and ARF, RTF, etc... I found an old Goldberg Gentle Lady and I am building it now... coming out pretty good.
Have fun... BTW, the Cherokee 140 is a great airplane.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:49 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rcsoar4fun
I have spent a lot of time in Idaho and it is a place I would live in a heartbeat if I could find a job. I love it a lot. However, Idaho is no place to be screwing around on the ground or in the air.
I loved flying in Idaho, and it can be done safely with the right attitude, the right instruction, and the right airplane. Nothing in the world like Idaho back country. Found this old video of landing the -182 the other day. Sure miss that airplane. VHS and Hi-8 recordings sure look archaic compared to todays video recorders!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5CRPq2bV8I
Old 03-14-2014, 03:14 AM
Marty79

Originally Posted by experimental_pilot
I've got my PPL and glider licenses from the Air Cadets. I plan to study Aerospace Engineering and then join the Airforce to become a pilot. My ulitimate goal is to become a test pilot.

Cheers
Go for it!!
Old 03-14-2014, 03:26 AM
Marty79

Originally Posted by jecchile
I really enjoy building too... problem is that balsa models are hard to find anymore - everything is some type of foam and ARF, RTF, etc... I found an old Goldberg Gentle Lady and I am building it now... coming out pretty good.
Have fun... BTW, the Cherokee 140 is a great airplane.
The Cherokee 140 is a great airplane for its size it has a fantastic useful load at least 200# more than the newer Cessna 172s and more comfortable I thought.

Also I have been on the look put for an Ace Bingo kit. I had built two of those back in the 90's and loved then. Re-kited the first one and I flew my last one literally till the glue joints started falling apart.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:52 AM
jecchile

Good luck finding a "Bingo" kit, I donīt think they are around anymore... perhaps someone here in the forum has the plans from an old kit and you could build a scratch plane. I think that would be your best bet. Anyway, it is hard to find wooden models anymore, at least here in Chile, where I live now. Then again, I have checked Tower Hobbies, Nitro Planes and Hobby King and not much there either.

Just found this... Plans and Templates for a Bingo
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...mplates&_sop=7

Last edited by jecchile; 03-14-2014 at 03:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.