Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Old 07-10-2006, 08:05 PM
chris1949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Hi Bill Im planing to fly my repaired waco with a st 75 in your opinion is it enough for this airplane.I just painted it with a old Ford cream color and folker red with the scallop detail,what a maskers nightmare but it turned out real sharp.Everybody thats seen it really loves the color combo,even my wife the ultimate acid test Thanx Chris
Old 07-11-2006, 04:28 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris,

You have to remember, that this airplane flies on the wing, and not on the prop. I truly do not think that the SuperTigre .75 will have enough power to safely fly this model. I have flown this model with everything from a Maloney 125 gas engine to a MOKI 1.8. and several things in between. I think that with the small ST, you are going to have to add considerable nose weight, and that is not going to be your friend. I have been using the OS 160 twin for the last couple of these that I have built, and I feel that this is nearly the perfect engine for this plane. I did use the OS 120 single on one with good results. If memory serves me correctly, the ST .75 wants to swing a 14" prop, and the thrust from this size prop will be marginal at best. This airplane needs an engine that will swing at least an 18" prop. I honestly think that with the little ST, you will have a case of the tail wagging the dog. If, on the other hand, yours is the 60" version, then the ST will be very adequate for this size WACO.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-11-2006, 07:22 AM
chris1949

Thanx for the info Bill,mine is the 60 inch size so the info you gave me is very helpful.I was a little nervous about it because power can be your best friend when you need it most.That said I hate to overpower an airplane if I dont need it.Im a firm believer in lighter flies better.This plane punches an awfully big hole in sky so I was a little concerned about the choice.The guy that gave it to me said on its first takeoff it just rolled right and it wouldnt come out of it.He seemed to think the aileron servo wasnt strong enough to move them that seems a little far fetched but I guess Im going to find out thanx Chris
Old 07-11-2006, 07:45 AM
Stickbuilder

Sounds more like the servo was reversed. Be sure to always visually check for the correct deflection direction. I don't think that even a standard set of servos would have a problem controlling this plane. Is yours set up with 2 aileron servos or does it have one driving the ailerons through bellcranks? If you are only using one servo driving all the ailerons, I would use a stronger servo. Otherwise, I think that you will be okay.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-11-2006, 08:40 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: chris1949

Hi Bill Im planing to fly my repaired waco with a st 75 in your opinion is it enough for this airplane.I just painted it with a old Ford cream color and folker red with the scallop detail,what a maskers nightmare but it turned out real sharp.Everybody thats seen it really loves the color combo,even my wife the ultimate acid test Thanx Chris
Your ST 75 is more than enough to fly this plane well. I maidened this plane for a friend about 20 years ago. It had a 60 in it, plenty of go. The most "interesting" part of flying this one is getting it back on the ground. It wants to float and float. Be sure your engine idle is good and low and your prop a shallow pitch. It is truly a classic plane, I wish I had one, now.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:15 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Jim Dines

Your ST 75 is more than enough to fly this plane well. I maidened this plane for a friend about 20 years ago. It had a 60 in it, plenty of go. The most "interesting" part of flying this one is getting it back on the ground. It wants to float and float. Be sure your engine idle is good and low and your prop a shallow pitch. It is truly a classic plane, I wish I had one, now.
Why don't you build one?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-12-2006, 09:49 AM
RCVFR

I guess I'm going to need to do that.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Stickbuilder

You can still find the kits on e-bay, ir here on RCU occasionally. Trouble is, the darn things are bringing over 300 bucks now for the 1/5 th scale kit. I have not a clue what the 60" span model goes for. Haven't seen one of them in a while now. I have managed ot squirrel several of the larger ones away, and I now have enough of them to keep me busy in case I live to be 90, or so. Guess I'm just a WACO kind of guy.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-22-2006, 08:23 PM
chris1949

Hi ernst-t hate to be a pest but does it say what fuel tank to put it the waco?I have about 20 tanks and they are all either to tall or to wide its a deep opening but not tall or wide,Id like to put at least a 14oz tank in it with the st 75 thanx Chris
Old 07-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Ernest-T

Hi ernst-t to be a pest but does it say what fuel tank to put it the waco?I have about 20 tanks and they are all either to tall or to wide its a deep opening but not tall or wide,Id like to put at least a 14oz tank in it with the st 75 thanx Chris
I remember that finding a fuel tank for the 1/6 scale WACO was always a difficult task. Like you mentioned, the problem is not the depth but the width and height of the opening. I took a look at my current WACO, but I cannot remember which tank I used. It looks like one of the flexible Sullivan slant-type tanks, but I suspect that it is either 10 or 12 oz. at the most. I think the larger Sullivan tanks would be too wide for the opening, and even the smaller rigid type Sullivan slant-type tanks will not work because of the small bulge of the vent space on the top will prevent the tank from going into the box. The opening is so tight that I could not use any foam insulation, but I have not had any problem with vibration of the fuel.

On the first 1/6 scale WACO I built, I remember finding a round fuel tank that fit perfectly all the way to the back of the opening, but that was nearly 20 years ago, and I can't remember the brand, and that plane was sold long ago.

You might try one of the Hayes Slimeline tanks. They seem narrower and longer than some of the others. The only other proposition is to re-design the fuel tank box to make it bigger.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:40 AM
old git

Hey stickbuilder,

It looks as if you have a lot of sanding to do before your Spitfire is finished.

old git - - - - -aka John L.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:59 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: old git

Hey stickbuilder,

It looks as if you have a lot of sanding to do before your Spitfire is finished.

old git - - - - -aka John L.
Spitfire???? Spitfire???? I ain't building no stinkin' Spitfire!!!

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-09-2006, 04:59 AM
Stickbuilder

You might find a plastic bottle with the correct diameter hole, and use that. I used to make use of the plastic bottles that permanent wave hair products came in. How about a plastic epoxy bottle? That might work fine. The stopper hole is about the right size, and you can get them in different sizes. Just wash the remaining glue out with alcohol before using with fuel..

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-09-2006, 09:59 PM
chris1949

Hi stickbuilder I found a 12 oz. fuel tank thay fit perfect,thats a little slim for a 75.I cant imagine what they were thinking when they designed that airplane.Its fat enough for a 1 liter soda bottle.If I tried to open it up now would be right up there with open heart surgury.Im just going to have to keep a close watch on my watch and not get carried away,wish me luck I hate dead stick landings.I agree with your assessment of that situation,options run out in a hurry thanx Chris
Old 08-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Stickbuilder

Jim,

There is a WACO going on e-bay right now. It's got 4 days to go. Might be the one for you.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-13-2006, 08:54 AM
chris1949

Just received the latest model airplane news Cox just released the1/5 scale waco as an arf for $379.00 if you dont want to build one.If you dont want to build one it ought to bring the price down considerably.I will be curious to see what that one goes for,your right they always go for $300+ for the 1/5 scale
Old 08-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Stickbuilder

Just received the latest model airplane news Cox just released the1/5 scale waco as an arf for $379.00 if you dont want to build one.If you dont want to build one it ought to bring the price down considerably.I will be curious to see what that one goes for,your right they always go for $300+ for the 1/5 scale
I would rather fly a hand launch Testor's glider than an ARF WACO. If folks are too darn lazy to build this one, they need to do without.[:'(]

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-13-2006, 09:13 PM
chris1949

You have my vote ,I just back into the hobby after a 20 year break,wow what a difference nobody builds any more.I built a super sportster and a ultimate bipe this winter they were in awe?I thought whats that all about I found out everybody with the same exact airplanes BOREING!crap anybody can do that Id rather build my own I guess Im an antique thank god ,I can fix mine if I ding it .Smooth landings chris
Old 08-13-2006, 10:37 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I would rather fly a hand launch Testor's glider than an ARF WACO. If folks are too darn lazy to build this one, they need to do without.[:'(]

Bill, AMA 4720

I take it you don't have a full time job and 3 kids in school that need to be run to sports practice... and still have time to fly... Or are you one of those builders who doesn't fly? My best friend has the 1/5 scale Pica Waco and a spare kit... Pica kits take tons of hrs and work whick I don't have... God bless you stick kit builders... Keep building them so I can buy them and fly them..
Old 08-14-2006, 04:00 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: BULL-RCU

I take it you don't have a full time job and 3 kids in school that need to be run to sports practice... and still have time to fly... Or are you one of those builders who doesn't fly? My best friend has the 1/5 scale Pica Waco and a spare kit... Pica kits take tons of hrs and work whick I don't have... God bless you stick kit builders... Keep building them so I can buy them and fly them..
You are quite the rude young man are you not? You know absolutely nothing about me, and here you are making judgments concerning my marital status, the status of my offspring, and my flying ability all in one statement. How rude.

To answer your concerns, we brought up 5 wonderful children all of whom are productive members of society. All of them participated in several extra-curricular activities while still in school. I still found the odd hour in which to build and fly. Answer number 2, I do fly what I build. I take no pride in flying what someone else has built. Number 3: You are correct. Pica kits take lots of time. They also take quite a bit of ability, which you obviously do not have. Number 4: You cannot buy one of my planes. I would never sell one to a person who obviously would not appreciate one of them. Last; as to my having a job, I operate an automobile dealership. I am at this task for only about 70 hours per week, so I suppose that you could say that it's a full time job. Scattered in between the occasional trip to meet with others in my 20 group, are meetings with my D.S.M. and others. Mis in the odd phone call or visit from a customer who thinks that just maybe, one of my salespersons has done his job and made a small profit for the dealership, or that they have been asked to actually pay for a repair to the vehicle...you should get the idea.

So what makes you qualified to pass judgment on me concerning my feelings toward the ruination of this wonderful model airplane by cheapening the ownership thereof by offering it as an ARF? Is it because you would really like to have one, but cannot build it yourself, or is it because you have more money than time?

Young man, I can build, therefore I do build. Have a nice day.

Bill, AMA 4720

Old 08-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Ignorant and totally uncalled for.[:@]

I guess I'm one of those people you describe who don't exist, I work full time (and then some), have two young children at home and another out on his own, I'm a session member for my church and still manage to find time to both build and fly.

BTW, I've finished framing and covering my Pica 1/5 Waco and managed 2 coats of paint Saturday before setting up the tents for my 2 young kids and 3 of their friends who wanted a camp-out .... then I flew all day Sunday, and yes, my wife and kids came to the field to enjoy lunch with me.....[8D]

Oh, and I designed and built my own doubleneck guitar this past winter. If you're willing to sacrifice time in front of the tube, it's amazing what you can accomplish.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80396.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	507047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40784.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	507048  
Old 08-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Jim_McIntyre

Ignorant and totally uncalled for.[:@]

I guess I'm one of those people you describe who don't exist, I work full time (and then some), have two young children at home and another out on his own, I'm a session member for my church and still manage to find time to both build and fly.

BTW, I've finished framing and covering my Pica 1/5 Waco and managed 2 coats of paint Saturday before setting up the tents for my 2 young kids and 3 of their friends who wanted a camp-out .... then I flew all day Sunday, and yes, my wife and kids came to the field to enjoy lunch with me.....[8D]

Oh, and I designed and built my own doubleneck guitar this past winter. If you're willing to sacrifice time in front of the tube, it's amazing what you can accomplish.
Hear, Hear...Well said, Jim.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-14-2006, 10:14 AM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

quote:

Ignorant and totaly uncalled for? God bless you stick builders... Keep building them so I can buy them and fly them... I asked a few questions... and made a statement. Statement : I don't have time to build kits... Asked a question Do you fly what you build? Do you have a full time job with 3 kids who need to be run to sports practices.

With the many hrs you spend at work 70 and the time on the road going to your 20 / 20 meetings and running the auto business, sitting your your shop for hrs... Kits take hundreds of hrs to build... Flying takes at least a couple hrs on the weekend... I will guess that you have a Wonderful wife who helps you and supports you with your family / job / & hobby... Give her some credit don't take it all...

Now to ignorant statements:

Oh but this statement is not ignorant:

I would rather fly a hand launch Testor's glider than an ARF WACO. If folks are too darn lazy to build this one, they need to do without.

Then you come back with I don't have the skill... OK you are right ... I don't have your skill... "Please"... I can lay some plans on a table... Lay out some sticks where they go and glue them. Do some sanding and cutting of blocks of wood... It does not take rocket science just patience and time! PS: YES I KNOW THERE IS MORE TO IT THEN THAT... but don't act like it's some lost art... Scratch building is a different story...

Conceided builders with childish statements... Kit builders who make statements about ARF's and how it cheapens there so called build... Yes, there are some cheap crapy arfs.... Also there are some loosy builds that shouldn't be in the air!!! Yes, I appreciate a builders skill when he is a true scale builder and he has the time to do such... I myself do not have that time and that was the statement made... What I don't like are the conceided statements of old school builders who don't think an arf has quality or a use to it... Statements about how it cheapens a WACO... Spare me... So if it's not quite as scale as yours... congratulations... you have a fine model... There are plenty of high quality arfs that look great and fly better... Not over weight, over built flying bricks. If it were up to guys like you there would be no models built by arf companys...
Sound familur to me... Lets flash back in time... Maybe your father or grandfather...

I wouldn't buy or fly one of those WACO PICA KITS... The wood is all crushed... Look at it... die cut... crushed wood.... and thats what they call scale!!! I only build from scratch... that's the only way to get it right... Little Jimmy & Billy quit playing that Rock & Roll on that home made Quitar... Is that dope you are smoking in there playing that loud Rock & Roll.... That's the devil taking control of you... Come back out here to the living room I have some real music playing.. Perry Como... Now this is music to listen to and not that garbage you are playing on the guitar!

Don't think of building that crappy kit in my house you baught either... It probably won't fly right anyhow!... Any good respectable RC flyer wouldn't build a KIT, Scratch building is the only way not those garbage kits!!!

Spare me... the oldest argument... Get used to it ARF's are here to stay.

Enjoy your WACO they are beautiful models... I'll enjoy my Sportsman aviation Waco. My Kangke Waco... and my other beautiful arf's... And if someone builds a Waco like the PICA I will buy that one and fly it too. Here are some of my ARFs that you wouldn't fly quoting you ( You would rather fly a hand launch tester's glider kit) It's ok I'll fly them and proud to say I do!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65834.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	507124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68455.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	507125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52545.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	507126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58755.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	507127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju14334.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	507128  
Old 08-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Look at that shiny plastic Triplane .... eeewww! [:'(]

Methinks "Bull" doth protest too loudly and is full of Bull (aka. himself?)

Enjoy your plastic ARFs BULL, of course they're way better than your previous die crushed experience....

Most of the old kits were indeed meant for 'builders' not 'assemblers' so perhaps your poor experience shouldn't be blamed on the kits but the kitbuilder?

-------------------

As for my wife, I always give her credit for her support, we support each other in our many endeavours .. I've been to Girl Guide camp to setup and take down tents more times than I care to remember.....

This post-modern "don't have enough time to build" nonsense is the part that annoys me the most. THe simple fact (and supported by most studies) is that the human race has never had more leisure time than it currently has. It also spends incredible amounts of time wasted in front of the tube.... I noticed this was not a point you cared to refute....

You don't like build? Fine, enjoy half of our fine hobby, what are you doing in the builders forums anyway, looking for high quality antique ARFs?
Old 08-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Jim_McIntyre

On to more positive subjects....

ORIGINAL: Ernest-T
I remember that finding a fuel tank for the 1/6 scale WACO was always a difficult task.
I think I recall taking a heat gun to a Sullivan tank. Failing that, building a tank is not a difficult task. If it's not too late, why not just modify that little tank "pocket"? It shouldn't be too difficult unless you've already sheeted the nose....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.