Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig kougar leading edge issue

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig kougar leading edge issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:25 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I wish I had read a simple discussion like this many years ago when I first got into RC. It would have saved me quite a bit of grief wondering why some of my planes behaved so strangely. Good sources of information and theory were not so readily available in those days. I thought speedracer's comments about LE shape were timely as way too many planes get built with very blunt root LE and sharp tip LE.

Last edited by Truckracer; 02-24-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:12 AM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
I wish I had read a simple discussion like this many years ago when I first got into RC. It would have saved me quite a bit of grief wondering why some of my planes behaved so strangely. Good sources of information and theory were not so readily available in those days. I thought speedracer's comments about LE shape were timely as way too many planes get built with very blunt root LE and sharp tip LE.
I will never understand why there is always someone that gets offended when we share our knowledge. For most of us there is no Ego involved. We come to these forums to share our experience in hopes of helping others, not to make our weenies look bigger. Some of us are experienced designers, builders, and pilots that understand the difference between a plane that flies and a properly set up plane that flies well. If we can share that information with others we are glad to do so.

Scott
Old 02-25-2019, 01:36 PM
larscato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys😊 I went ahead and added som balsa to the inner part of the LE to get it to match the thickness of the wing. However when I set

the LE up against the wing it just looks wrong when it comes to being able to sand the front of it to the correct radius on the inner thicker part of the wing. Maybe im overthinking it. I'll drop a photo of the issue.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:38 PM
larscato

Ok. My post got a bit messed up. Sorry😣
Old 02-25-2019, 03:45 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

That LE stock should plane and sand to shape just fine.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:39 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You beat me to it. That will work fine. I would shape it with a razor plane to get it close and final sand it.

Scott
Old 03-01-2019, 05:49 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

As suggested, use care not to sand the tip LE sharper then the root. Also make certain the radius is perfectly symmetrical. If one side is slightly different it will show up as needing some aileron trim and will always favor dropping the same tip during stall.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:22 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by larscato
Ok. My post got a bit messed up. Sorry😣

After you complete your text for your post, make sure your cursor is 1 or 2 lines below and after the text. Your pictures will then attach after the text.

If if you happen to leave your cursor within your text, as when you review it, your pictures will post there. I’ve had that problem and finally figured it out.

and yep, razor plane and sanding.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:06 AM
larscato

Thanx for all your input guys. 😊 There are many things that so far just dont make sense to me with this kit. Just look at the picture. The trailing edge has been sanded down to match the curvature of the wing but when i lay the ailerons on to the wing there is a huge difference in thickness. I just dont get it😣 this is my first core wing kit and i have never experienced this with my previous rib winges.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:08 AM
larscato

Old 03-09-2019, 01:28 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Could there be 4 prices of aileron stock? On some kits you need to laminate two into one
Old 04-10-2019, 08:02 AM
larscato

Thanx for all your input guys. I went ahead with the kit and I have made some progress. I will leave my worries about the LE ant TE for later. Made a mistake when drilling the blocks for the wing nuts. The manuals says to drill them with the wing on, at an angle so that the bolts will sit flush with the wing. I didnt do this and had to rectify it by doing this....

Last edited by larscato; 04-10-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:18 AM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BalsaGhost
I used good ol' Titebond wood glue, which sanded easily enough for shaping. I keep moving further and further away from CA on every build.
I've gotten away from CA as well. I think I have an allergic reaction when I use it anymore. I only use it very rarely now to tack something in place and wear a respirator when I do it.

In my opinion, if you really like the Titebond, you should give Sig Bond a try. It is the same type of glue, but sands so much easier than Titebond. I use it on all wood projects now, whether it's a model airplane to a cabinet project. Very good stuff and I like to support Sig.