Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

CARF Joker build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

CARF Joker build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 07:47 PM
Saillfish
My Feedback: (17)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin
Nice tray 👍
Thanks!! I used your idea on your previously posted pictures on yours
Old 02-13-2019, 10:02 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

This is a CARF model...I’ve seen hard landings with the batteries in the nose cone, it’s not an issue.
That might only be a few oz, but they all add up and the model gets heavier...light models fly best!!
Old 02-14-2019, 07:51 AM
Saillfish

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
This is a CARF model...I’ve seen hard landings with the batteries in the nose cone, it’s not an issue.
That might only be a few oz, but they all add up and the model gets heavier...light models fly best!!
I agree. But strong ones last. I have 45 yrs of building and flying experience A small amount of added weight is well worth it. I glass the rails in any ARF's gear Saved many planes from the sometimes hard landing or off the end of the runway roll out. Any well designed acft can handle the extra weight. If it's that close to its envelope already then there is a proplem already Which I feel is not the case in this bird. That's why I bought it.CARF planes have proven to me to be capable
Old 02-16-2019, 07:34 PM
carfjoker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iv got a broke clevis its the one that came with the joker any idea what size and where i can find one .I think its 6-32 size rod but not sure on the clevis size.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:15 AM
Dave Wilshere

Spring steel Clevis? It’s M3. Multiplex or Graupner sell the same type.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:26 PM
Saillfish

Default Joker

Heat shields for the elevators servo wires.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:52 PM
Saillfish

Old 02-23-2019, 01:58 PM
Tom ling

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking good mate, what size turbine is that?
Old 02-23-2019, 02:55 PM
kekelala

Neat work there! It looks like a K100G?.

But it please take note of the tail servo wires touching the tail pipe. Mine had one of the elevators moving by itself when I ran the engine from mid to high throttle. At first I thought it was the servo problem, I then realized that the wire was touching the pipe.

I believe the pipe generates a lot of static when moving air rushes inside it, causing the elevator servo to swing.

kekelala

Last edited by kekelala; 02-23-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:09 PM
Saillfish

Originally Posted by Tom ling
Looking good mate, what size turbine is that?
K85 sir
Old 02-23-2019, 07:11 PM
Saillfish

Originally Posted by kekelala
Neat work there! It looks like a K100G?.

But it please take note of the tail servo wires touching the tail pipe. Mine had one of the elevators moving by itself when I ran the engine from mid to high throttle. At first I thought it was the servo problem, I then realized that the wire was touching the pipe.

I believe the pipe generates a lot of static when moving air rushes inside it, causing the elevator servo to swing.

kekelala
It is a K85. With the metal tape on the leads I was able to push the extra wire inside the stab holes and it is a good half of a inch from the pipe.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:28 PM
gooseF22

Kekelala
Strongly recommend you remove the Jeti MFlow from your setup.. it doesn't work on the suction side at all. It will cause you a flameout guaranteed. Its designed for the pressure side. and it causes restrictions... I have quit using them at all because the fuel pumps were getting hot and the engines were not running well.

If you want fuel telemetry, then just use Kingtechs Jeti telemetry module, and calibrate the fuel counter in it.. its pretty accurate once you get the constants right. The older I get, the more I pay attention to a clean fuel line routing and flow. I drill out the barbs, clunks, and fittings, remove any restrictions, smooth bends..etc

goose

Last edited by gooseF22; 02-23-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:30 PM
kevin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Goose.
Have you seen an acurate number for the k100, for the kingtech jeti telemetry module?
Old 02-24-2019, 05:54 PM
kekelala

Originally Posted by gooseF22
Kekelala
Strongly recommend you remove the Jeti MFlow from your setup.. it doesn't work on the suction side at all. It will cause you a flameout guaranteed. Its designed for the pressure side. and it causes restrictions... I have quit using them at all because the fuel pumps were getting hot and the engines were not running well.

If you want fuel telemetry, then just use Kingtechs Jeti telemetry module, and calibrate the fuel counter in it.. its pretty accurate once you get the constants right. The older I get, the more I pay attention to a clean fuel line routing and flow. I drill out the barbs, clunks, and fittings, remove any restrictions, smooth bends..etc

goose
Thanks, Goose, for the head up. I would probably use the KT's when I fly a bigger engine.

I haven't got any flameout, hot pump, hot start, noticeable throttle lag etc, so far on my 3 other jets and a turboprop. They all sit on the suction side of the pumps. Probably the MFlow 800 is sufficient to cope with the flow on those engines. I am running diesel with 5% oil. Jeti once suggested using bigger MFlow for bigger engines to avoid the restrictions of flow. And surprisingly, the telemetry was accurate - as always. For instance, after some flights with my Mini Avanti yesterday, the one litre fuel tank had fuel remaining at 25%. The transmitter reported 259ml.

I have also been using the Mflows on Saito engines, which are fairly heat-sensitive engines, if you already know. Should the engine runs slightly richer, it likes to cough and slack on the throttle. If you lean just 2 clicks out on the carburetor, the engine suffers overheating issues and sometimes quit in mid air. What I am saying here is that the device does not cause me problem. At least nothing significant that would prompt me to remove those.

Regards,
Kekelala
Old 02-24-2019, 07:53 PM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by kevin
Goose.
Have you seen an acurate number for the k100, for the kingtech jeti telemetry module?
Really isn't the thread for it, but No I dont have a starting place. I just went with the default value to start with, dont remember what it is. Its a trial and error process.. ratio of current number, and what is remaining / what predicted, that ratio applied to the number.. try the new number... then repeat.. you will get it to the point where it predicts pretty accurately the total fuel you have remaining. its easy to go the wrong way, so think about it before raising or lowering the constant. make the counter go toward the actual

so: say pump constant is 500..
you fly.. the counter says 40%, you add it up and say you have actual 50% remaining. 50/40 = 1.25.. so multiply 1.25 * 500 = 625.. try that value.. then rinse and repeat.. after a couple iterations, use half of whatever you calculate.. it will be within about 5% when you get it dialed in..close enough..

Its really nice to know your exact fuel state when the runway crumps, and you are just hanging out at the end of your timer, and your fuel counter says 45%.. you can wait a bit, then do a normal, not freaking..

Another way to do it is also to keep it running until you see a bubble come up the trap line (on the ground) then check the counter.. at that point you want it to say Zero of course.

Telemetry is cool, and it gives me peace to know whats going on up there.. Also with the ECU telemetry, set a flameout warning for yourself if you have telemetry. I use 80% of idle RPM, and I have a second alarm that says Pump Voltage, if the pump Pulswidth goes below 5 (shutoff).. You will be surprised how much the RPM decays on rollout, or during landing. I had a 36K idle, and had it go off on rollout, but the motor never quit, so I lowered the alarm to 28K
The whole purpose is to predict or warn of impending or actual flameout so you can turn back.. If it restarts great, Im not counting on it ever.

Last edited by gooseF22; 02-24-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:55 PM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by kekelala
Thanks, Goose, for the head up. I would probably use the KT's when I fly a bigger engine.

I haven't got any flameout, hot pump, hot start, noticeable throttle lag etc, so far on my 3 other jets and a turboprop. They all sit on the suction side of the pumps. Probably the MFlow 800 is sufficient to cope with the flow on those engines. I am running diesel with 5% oil. Jeti once suggested using bigger MFlow for bigger engines to avoid the restrictions of flow. And surprisingly, the telemetry was accurate - as always. For instance, after some flights with my Mini Avanti yesterday, the one litre fuel tank had fuel remaining at 25%. The transmitter reported 259ml.

I have also been using the Mflows on Saito engines, which are fairly heat-sensitive engines, if you already know. Should the engine runs slightly richer, it likes to cough and slack on the throttle. If you lean just 2 clicks out on the carburetor, the engine suffers overheating issues and sometimes quit in mid air. What I am saying here is that the device does not cause me problem. At least nothing significant that would prompt me to remove those.

Regards,
Kekelala
Ok.. understand.. you have given it some thought and experience.. my experience with the has not been so good, so I punted, and fell back on the ECU telemetry.

have fun flying.. the telemetry is cool
Old 02-24-2019, 08:22 PM
kekelala

Originally Posted by gooseF22
Ok.. understand.. you have given it some thought and experience.. my experience with the has not been so good, so I punted, and fell back on the ECU telemetry.

have fun flying.. the telemetry is cool
Always good to have advise from the good folks here, that's what the forums are for! Values shared!

Thank you so much and happy landings,
Kekelala
Old 03-03-2019, 12:50 PM
Saillfish

Not the generic joker everyone else has now : )

Last edited by Saillfish; 03-03-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:24 PM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

It looks really nice 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

[/QUOTE]
Old 03-03-2019, 09:23 PM
Saillfish

Originally Posted by skymaster68
It looks really nice 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

[/QUOTE]
Thanks you sir
Old 03-03-2019, 10:28 PM
Speedrick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UAT tank

Hello,

Finally got to the fuel system build in.
Any suggestions for the UAT? I can’t see how the supplied UAT can be build in.
Noticed there was no clunck supplied with. Where should i put this tank?
Did somebody used the itrap UAT?
Pls provide pics if possible.

Kind Regards,

Eric

Old 03-04-2019, 04:35 AM
Dave Wilshere

I used an MAP std Bubble Trap in mine as pictures, IMO the best option.
itrap is heavy and not needed in a small airframe.
The std tank supplied to act as a bubble trap you build with a centre pick up tube, equal distance from all sides, the bubble stays around the edge.
Usually CARF supply another felt clunk to add (no flex tube needed) to sit in the centre

Dave
Old 03-04-2019, 06:39 AM
Speedrick

Thanks Dave ! ! !

I'll try to find the MAP std Bubble Trap. I presume there should be a clunck installed no?
Does the size of the tank matters? Presume it should be installed on the floor area, just in front of the main tank?

I noticed quite some discussions about the need of a UAT. Is it realy a must have for such relative small turbine, or is
it a standard item on turbines? After flying for 40 years on gas and methanol engines, i have no idea on the need of this tank.

Kind Regards,

Eric
Old 03-04-2019, 09:04 AM
Dave Wilshere

Eric, where you based? NA either Dreamworks or MAP direct.
The kit includes a felt clunk that works well with tygon 1/8" line. If you look at the early part of the thread you can see where I installed mine.
Bubble trap is always a good idea, especially with limited fuel capacity, the fuel flow is much greater than on gas models, so air generates quicker and
turbines are not that tolerant.

Dave
Old 03-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Speedrick

Hi Dave,

Based in your backyard, just on the otherside of the Chanel, Belgium.
I would say that the supplied hopper tank is not really workeable, thus i’m looking for a replacement.
Problem is that no opportunities here in Belgium for accessories of turbines....
Do you have any suggestions for a good turbine shop?

kind Regards,

Eric

Last edited by Speedrick; 03-04-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.