Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Can't Decide on what board to purchase

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Can't Decide on what board to purchase

Old 02-16-2019, 06:08 AM
Rebellion13

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Can't Decide on what board to purchase

I currently have a Taigen Tiger with the original V1 board, my son loves the tank so I ended up giving it to him, he has a HL Sherman too. I am currently going to have to build another one for myself since he inherited that one. I have an IBU2 for that so all is good there. But I am indecisive about which route to take for his. Clark TK22, Taigen V3, or maybe even an ASP 2.5 when it is in stock. With the Taigen V3 it would need the wiring, and Mako board so we could be Tamiya compliant, which brings it up to the price of a Clark TK22/24 depending on where it is purchased. The new ASP uses the S.bus which I have just familiarized myself with but I do not know which TX are S.Bus and really haven't put forth the effort to find out lol. I know the majority here probably use some form of a Clark board, but I would like to hear from the Taigen V3 crowd too, it seems their latest version is really good. I'm currently using a turnigy i6 which is the same as the flysky, but if I know I am going with an S.Bus variant I will have to look into a different TX. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. I have been out of the loop for awhile and its good to have some free time to get back into it. And it is also nice to see some regular names on here that are still into this wonderful niche.

oops forgot to ask? I know with the older mako board you still needed a mamba to slow the tank down when taking a hit. Does the new Mako do this since there is no option for the Mamba anymore?

Cheers,
Wade

Last edited by Rebellion13; 02-16-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:37 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi, as far as I know, there is one ASP3 on development... But due it may take too long, I would get an Elmod fusion pro or an IBU2 ultimate.

I would stay away from clark boards because the limit of sound memory. Not being able to play extra sounds (tank commander voices, radio chat, music and so on...) Leaves the board with no interest for me, no matter how good the rest of the functions are.

I know some people dont care, but it is just my opinion.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:10 AM
Rebellion13

Thank you, every ones opinion is welcome, funny thing is I still have an original elmod from back in the day that i never installed lol

Last edited by Rebellion13; 02-16-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:14 AM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Some really good of the latest Clark Tk22 boards is the high frequency ESC. The ESC for motors works with pulses, clark increased the frequency and behavior of them letting the motors turn to a low speed without stopping.
This new feature let the ESC (s) for both motors to move they very very slowly, so a regular heng Long gear is able to work almost it was a 3:1 gear.
I was surprised for this new feature, when changed the board in a T34 to fit one new with the right sound.
The new ones have 3 new pages for setup which allow to change between ESC or servo for elevation and recoil, BUT also included the servo function for turret rotation. The sound was improved too with what looks like new IC, I got them for US$90 which is worth I think.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:54 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I've always been of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school, so I say stick with the IBU. The only concern would be whether or not they've fixed the momentum thing. The newer IBU boards have a built in momentum/inertia feature which can't be disabled, making for a very poor IR battle tank, but they were supposed to do something about that and make it so you can turn off the momentum if you want to. I would contact Ian Judge at rctankelectronics in the UK and see if that's been fixed, and if so, that's the board I'd go with for your needs. I've tried the clark boards and must say I honestly don't care for them, but if they now have new and better motor controllers they might be worth looking at.

Just my opinion, and we all know an opinion is much like an anus, everyone has one, most of them stink!!
Old 02-16-2019, 09:18 AM
Rebellion13

Thank you, I will have to take a look at the new boards and contact Ian. I have the IBU board which I believe is the one before the momentum issues. Just trying to find a decent board tamiya compliant etc. The new Taigen V3 boards have peaked my interest, but when all said and done price is the same as an aftermarket board... And as far as your opinion I appreciate it, I know I was on the way out as you were coming in to this hobby and you have been in the game since so your feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 02-16-2019, 09:48 AM
Crius

I believe the older IBU boards are green, where the one with the momentum issue is blue.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:03 PM
Rebellion13

i will have to check, once i blow the dust off of it

Cheers,
Wade
Old 02-16-2019, 01:21 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

This can be quite a thorny question as folks can be very partisan about their chosen control board.

Imo the best value currently is the Clark tk40 and tk80. If you're on Facebook talk to stian sollie or Stanley tai as they both supply them.
​​​​​​
In their sbus form using a flysky i6s the controls are really simple and the transmitter is very reasonably price (and comes with both sticks self centering), they have brilliant sound, and the slow speed control is better than any other control board out there. They're also the cheapest in their respective fields. They have the most realistic servo recoil too.

If you want a whole film score or dialogue then the asp (if you can find on) might be the board for you.

If you want realistic simulated physics and driving simulation then go el mod.

​​​​​​The new Ibu boards are decent but they're more expensive than the Clark and imo the Clark does everything better.

If you like tinkering and want to use your own ESC and sound card then the open panzer was a good bet but they're not being produced atm and are hard to get hold of.
The following users liked this post:
herrmill (11-20-2021)
Old 02-16-2019, 03:49 PM
Rebellion13

Thank you, for the input. I am trying to get caught up on the different Clark versions, last time I was involved I think the latest was the TK24........ so much has changed
Old 02-16-2019, 04:28 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by tomhugill
This can be quite a thorny question as folks can be very partisan about their chosen control board.

Imo the best value currently is the Clark tk40 and tk80. If you're on Facebook talk to stian sollie or Stanley tai as they both supply them.
​​​​​​
In their sbus form using a flysky i6s the controls are really simple and the transmitter is very reasonably price (and comes with both sticks self centering), they have brilliant sound, and the slow speed control is better than any other control board out there. They're also the cheapest in their respective fields. They have the most realistic servo recoil too.

If you want a whole film score or dialogue then the asp (if you can find on) might be the board for you.

If you want realistic simulated physics and driving simulation then go el mod.

​​​​​​The new Ibu boards are decent but they're more expensive than the Clark and imo the Clark does everything better.
I, too, recommend Clark's boards. Am ordering several different boards now including the tk80 to for several projects of mine.

Recommend you get on Facebook to look over Clark's page & join his User Group where you can get more intel & ask questions. You'll see there is a lot more happening there besides his boards.

Clark Model https://www.facebook.com/CLARK-MODEL-313209919787/
Clark Model User Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/535588676616042/
Old 02-16-2019, 10:25 PM
Rebellion13

Thank you everyone for the input. herrmill thanks for the links I will have to check it out, I’ve only been out of the game for about a year but holy smokes a lot has changed.... for the better. I remember back in the day when it was tamiya or a rx13 lol..... seems like ancient history
Old 02-17-2019, 07:51 AM
Crius

Being in PA, you probably know Bret? If it were me, I'd message him and ask what the latest favorite board at his club is. Those guys probably know all the best sources and what-not, as well. Even if you don't know him, his user name is thebennyB and he's very cool and will probably help you out. He made the second post in fssttanks "3:1, 4:1" thread, if you need a quick way to find him. That thread is still on the first page of the menu.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:27 AM
Rebellion13

Yes I remember Bret, and yes he is a nice guy. I think I am going to put the IBU in my sons tank and use the turnigy i6. And then for mine I am leaning towards a Clark board. Which then brings me to which version....lol. Decisions decisions... not sure just to stay with the TK22 since I have heard it has improved much better low speed. Or TK24 or 40 with S.bus and a flysky fs-i6s

Cheers,
Wade
Old 02-17-2019, 09:24 AM
Rebellion13

As far as the transmitter.... I don’t really care for the style of the fs-i6s, guess I am just old fashioned, but I have seen the new i6x which is 10ch and ibus

Cheers,
Wade
Old 02-17-2019, 12:55 PM
RichJohnson

Received 372 Likes on 237 Posts

If your old green IBU2 is working fine stick with it.
I am a sold old green IBU2 user. The new Ultimate wich is blue has a heavy inertia setting built is as Cirus mentioned. It is very undriveable if you intend to battle or go around obstacles. I cannot use it. Im waiting for them to release a firmware update to allow turning it off completely.

My friends use clark boards with near flawless results. The 60 and 80 offer more options and you do have to buy a remote control from a TV and a programming cable to get started unless you have a friend that is already set up but I would go with that kind of set up. If IBU doesn't get their act together I will be looking at the TK series myself when I have more tanks that need boards.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Arctic Cat ZRT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebellion13
Yes I remember Bret, and yes he is a nice guy. I think I am going to put the IBU in my sons tank and use the turnigy i6. And then for mine I am leaning towards a Clark board. Which then brings me to which version....lol. Decisions decisions... not sure just to stay with the TK22 since I have heard it has improved much better low speed. Or TK24 or 40 with S.bus and a flysky fs-i6s

Cheers,
Wade
Hello fellow Pennsy resident, I'm south of Allentown by about 30 mins. I personally only have experience with Clark's boards. I have a Tiger 1 with a TK60 and I also have a Lowe with a new TK40. I have not had issues with either unit and the new TK series with S.Bus is extremely nice! Both are being run with a FS-i6X controller. Very easy to setup and run, been working on getting both setup for IR Battling.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:54 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I really dont understand if so many people has problems with the IBU2U momentum, why the factory does not update the firmware and makes the board able to disable it...

Personally I like the momentum in my tanks (it can be done with any tank, even tamiya, just with the radio) but It is definitelly a problem and a disvantage for those who do unrealistic (jack rabitting back and forwards) IR battles.

In the Elmod boards it also cannot be desabled, so it is another thing to consider.

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 02-18-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:09 AM
Rebellion13

I am leaning heavily towards the TK22 or TK40..... Going the 22 route only decision would be cost savings. The 44 is very appealing, but I have seen Clark on his site listed as $125 not bad, but I am seeing it listed on other overseas at same or higher but when you factor in exchange rate and shipping...holy mother of I know we have to pay to play, I am not frugal but I really dont want to pay $50 more then original pricing lol.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 02-18-2019, 05:12 AM
Rebellion13

RichJohnson my IBU board I have never even taken out of the box yet "blush". But that board is going into my sons tank. I will most likely go with a Clark TK for my tank which I am currently parting together.

Arctic Cat ZRT I live close to Kutztown about 30 minutes North West of Allentown. That is the same TX I am thinking about, I'll just have to find a self centering gimbal or just go with the fs-i6s.

Cheers,
Wade

Last edited by Rebellion13; 02-18-2019 at 05:16 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:38 AM
Crius

I think Ian has a self center kit for that and shipping is cheap, like ten or twelve bucks. Well, cheap for going across the Atlantic, anyway. The kit comes with the lever and the spring and it's easy to instal. I think I even have a video if you need it.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:05 AM
Rebellion13

Thanks Bud, I actually have one of those kits.........somewhere lol. I ended up buying the whole gimbal through banggood for around $7 for the turnighy i6, since i couldnt find the kit, easy install.. Just wasn't sure if the one for the i6 will fit the i6x, but for seven buckaroonies might just order one.....and now i am going back and forth between the x model and the i6s, ugh.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 02-18-2019, 10:09 AM
Arctic Cat ZRT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebellion13
Thanks Bud, I actually have one of those kits.........somewhere lol. I ended up buying the whole gimbal through banggood for around $7 for the turnighy i6, since i couldnt find the kit, easy install.. Just wasn't sure if the one for the i6 will fit the i6x, but for seven buckaroonies might just order one.....and now i am going back and forth between the x model and the i6s, ugh.

Cheers,
Wade
From what I have seen the construction between the S and X is pretty much the same so the gimbals should fit. The reason that I suggest the X is that you can replace any of the 2 position switches with 3 position switches with only a bit of soldering, or vice versa. Apparently the older ones require programming to complete this change. I did the change myself on my X and has a 3 position switch fully working in a matter of minutes.

Regards
Old 02-18-2019, 04:36 PM
Rebellion13

Another question before I make a decision. Does anyone have experience with the MAKO2018 board? I would like to know if it slows the tank down when it takes hits? I am just trying to keep cost at a fairly decent level. If I go with a Clark 40 plus remote and various thingamabobs it is getting up there in price, ibu cost is around 200. So just trying to keep it at a worthwhile upgrade.

Cheers
Wade
Old 02-18-2019, 08:05 PM
RichJohnson

Received 372 Likes on 237 Posts

There is a post about the mako 2018 just a bit down the page right now.
He bought one expecting to plug his tamiya battle unit into it, only to learn it will not acdept the tamiya battle unit, but needs a special cable to go between the mako 2018 and the tamiya battle apple, bypassing the tamiya apple base.
Apparantly mako does not sell this cable or tell you where to get it.. He also had issues commincating with the RCTA people and didnt get any answers.
it was not usable for his needs so it seems he decided not to use it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.