Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Giant Top Flite F6F Hellcat coming soon?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Giant Top Flite F6F Hellcat coming soon?

Old 02-16-2019, 09:26 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Keep in mind there is also the Better Business Bureau you can file a complaint there just for the record.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Bill Lowen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Hope they get it sorted out for you.

Horizon is pretty good about that stuff. VP'r here too. 31, 46,NRL, 62

I did some training with 31. Moffett Field was a nice place. I miss those days.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:36 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok heres some info for those of you interested in the New Hellcat from TF . I purchased one in November last year and found some issues so I called the Customer service line and spoke with someone named Joe . I described my issues to him and he asked that I send some photos , which I did . I waited and waited for a response and received nothing . I re- sent the photos ,no response. I called in again and again and received only hold music . I finally did send another email through a different portal in he HH website and received a response from Joe . I was informed by Joe that using the Customer service line was incorrect and thus the non response from the initial photos and emails. . To shorten the story the flat light blue covering is no longer available that I need to repair the piss poor finishing on my model . I was offered a very small credit to help resolve this issues . In case you missed that , the covering on this newly released model no longer available ! I wish that I had known there would be an ARC version coming out when I ordered this one last November .
The sheeting finish is poor . The covering job is poor . The customer service is poor . The fact that matching covering is no longer available is unbelievable. . I think it will be a while before I buy from HH / Top flite . I'm going back to scratch building it's less infuriating. This has been a 999.00 mistake on my part .
Old 03-08-2019, 03:05 PM
Sizemore N
My Feedback: (1)

I experienced a lot of the same things regarding customer support the quality of the wood was terrible you can see sanding marks through the covering, the decals are separating from their adhesive for the cockpit along with all the issues I had with the wing saddle I'm close to having it done now I'm going to paint the cat mouth on it. The only thing I have left to worry about is if the incidence is correct.

Norman
Old 03-31-2019, 02:47 PM
LtMash1A

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Anybody know of the Saito RG 90 will fit in the cowl of the Hellcat?
Old 04-01-2019, 04:00 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

It wont.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:45 PM
CK1

My last words about the Hellcat . If you get the Almost ready to cover version that is now avail , all of the issues in assembly and finishing can be corrected before covering or better yet glass and paint . To be very honest the plane flies great and the performance is very pleasing . It tracks like it's on rails and slows to a crawl with flaps down for those awesome scale landings. I rate it right up there with the TBM Zero for flight performance. ( That means it's very good).
Old 04-09-2019, 08:25 AM
Sizemore N

Default Retractable gear suggestion

Thanks for the heads up on how will the plane flies that's nice to know.
Regarding what choice of retracts people are using I went with robart had no reason to believe that they wouldn't be a quality gear after all it's robart. With the gear retracted there is too much play, a 1/4 inch on the left side and 1/8 in on the right side. The fact that there was different amounts of play bothered me more than anything why is it not the same so, knowing that I was going to the Toledo show I took the wing Center section with me to speak to robart personally. I spoke with the owner of robart and first he told me there's nothing wrong with the gear that's normal and when I pointed out that one side was worse than the other he counter dicted himself and said well you can send it back in and we can fix it but then he tells me I had to pay for the labor to fix their problem, by this time I was so frustrated with this situation (nightmare flashbacks with Top Flite) that I picked up the center section and told him from now on I would be doing my business with Sierra retracts. It's unbelievable that a business thinks they can dump on the customer their problems and not even consider being responsible for their product. I have always considered robart to be one of the best if not the best retracts in the industry up till a few years ago when I started having issues.
So with all that said I would strongly recommend using some other brand of retracts then robart. I hate the dump on manufacturers because this is a man-made product and nothing's perfect but backup your product and make it right seems to be the biggest issue nowadays when something is wrong.
I can't wait to get past all of this and fly this warbird. I live in northern Indiana the weather is starting to get better finally, I hope everybody has a safe and great flying season!

Norman
Old 04-09-2019, 08:40 AM
LtMash1A

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sizemore N
Thanks for the heads up on how will the plane flies that's nice to know.
Regarding what choice of retracts people are using I went with robart had no reason to believe that they wouldn't be a quality gear after all it's robart. With the gear retracted there is too much play, a 1/4 inch on the left side and 1/8 in on the right side. The fact that there was different amounts of play bothered me more than anything why is it not the same so, knowing that I was going to the Toledo show I took the wing Center section with me to speak to robart personally. I spoke with the owner of robart and first he told me there's nothing wrong with the gear that's normal and when I pointed out that one side was worse than the other he counter dicted himself and said well you can send it back in and we can fix it but then he tells me I had to pay for the labor to fix their problem, by this time I was so frustrated with this situation (nightmare flashbacks with Top Flite) that I picked up the center section and told him from now on I would be doing my business with Sierra retracts. It's unbelievable that a business thinks they can dump on the customer their problems and not even consider being responsible for their product. I have always considered robart to be one of the best if not the best retracts in the industry up till a few years ago when I started having issues.
So with all that said I would strongly recommend using some other brand of retracts then robart. I hate the dump on manufacturers because this is a man-made product and nothing's perfect but backup your product and make it right seems to be the biggest issue nowadays when something is wrong.
I can't wait to get past all of this and fly this warbird. I live in northern Indiana the weather is starting to get better finally, I hope everybody has a safe and great flying season!

Norman
I have the same issues with my Top Flite Zeero and the Robart Gear. I avoid using them. Is yours electric or pneumatic? I don't know if the electrics would stay up any better.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:25 AM
Sizemore N

Mine are electric sorry I failed to mention that. Hopefully they hold up after putting the amount of money that you have to spend on this kind of equipment it's a shame you have to worry about it.

Norman
Old 04-09-2019, 06:24 PM
Chris Nicastro

Norman, I hate to say this but you should know they are not well known for having reliable working electric gear, especially the larger gear. My sincere recommendation to you is that you consider converting to air or switch to Sierra gear.
I have had about 10 years of reliable air retract service from my Robart gear in the TF giant Corsair, among other models I have used Robart air in as well. But, I do not use their electric system, in fact I have a New In Package electric conversion set for their big gear I have never even tested.

Also, look to see if there is a set screw to adjust the slop in the retract, it’s considered an adjustable stop screw. I’ve seen that in their gear before I think and if not maybe it could be added.

The Hellcat uses the same base gear as the P-40 and the Corsair right? Can you show what your issue is with that gear? I have a spare air set I could look at and maybe suggest a simple fix.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:52 AM
CK1

I use the electric conversion on my Byron Hellcat gear which is now in my TF Hellcat and they work well with very little play . I have had to replace the side frames on them before after many years of use . The side frame gets worn and does create a little unwanted play but this was after hundreds of flights over many years.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:06 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I've got a 7 year-old set of Sierra retracts on a Top Flite model. In the down position they have had a lot of play from the start. Darrel said it is nothing to worry about. They still work great, but for what is considered to be the best, I wasn't very impressed. All of my Robart gears are tighter.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:21 AM
Sizemore N

I don't have any photos of the gear, I will have to remove one out of the wing take a closer look at what you were talking about.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:36 PM
Sizemore N

I didn't see any kind of adjustment to make to take the slop out of the landing gear when they're retracted. The one thing I did notice is the wheel is not laying flat in the wheel well which tells me the electric motor is not raising it and rotating it far enough which means that explains the slop so it looks like I may just have to live with it. Anyways it's all done it came in at 26.5 lb and hopefully this Sunday I'll get to put her in the air for the first time thanks for everyone's help and advice throughout this whole process. I hope everybody has a great flying season , and be safe!

Normn
Old 04-26-2019, 12:21 AM
Chris Nicastro

If you look at the hook and pin which locks the gear it’s released by the cylinder. It can be adjusted by way of bending the hook a little bit. The rotatotion of the gear can be adjusted with the collar and pinch bolt on the strut. The wheel position doesn’t have to be perfectly flat as long as it not hanging unlocked then the gear is fine. When extended the gear should be tight and the play in the scissor link will be all that’s noticeable.
Be sure you have toe out on the wheels instead of toe in so it doesn’t cause you trouble.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:22 AM
Chris Nicastro

Never mind...

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 04-26-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:41 AM
CK1

Norman I may have a suggestion for the play in your gear . The electric actuator has two screws that attach it to the scissor frame. Those screws go through an elliptical spacer that can be installed with the through hole forward or rearward . You want the rearward position. Remove the screws look to see how the spacer is positioned and reposition if needed . If the spacer is in the incorrect position the motor may reach its retracted endpoint before the gear are fully retracted .
Old 04-30-2019, 06:27 PM
Sizemore N

Thanks for the info, we'll be looking into that soon haven't had an opportunity to get it out and fly the only thing doing around here in Indiana is rain and rain and rain LOL
Old 05-01-2019, 12:05 AM
Chris Nicastro

Looks like I have an opportunity to set up and fly my friends Hellcat this summer. He just received it this week and is making up his mind on the engine. He might go for the UMS 75cc gas radial, I hope it fits! Otherwise I think he’s going for the Saito 60cc radial.
He said his plane shipped ok, no problems so far with the parts.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:25 AM
CK1

Just a heads up on the wing joiner bolts . I have noticed that the bolts (4-40) that go through the channels that lock in the joiner blades were getting slightly loose after flying . Although the bolts do have loctite on them to prevent loosening from vibration they didn't seem to hold well. I found that the threads were not holding . I ended up tapping them out for 8-32 bolts and notching the blade for the bolts to rest in so the wing can't just slide off if the bolt loosen again . The good news is that the channels look like Sig wing joiners and they are bolted in so replacement shouldn't be that difficult if it comes to that .
So keep and eye on them wing joiner bolts !!!
Old 05-01-2019, 12:23 PM
Chris Nicastro

I had the same problem with the TF Corsair. Just like full scale, I go around the plane each flight with an Allen key and check all the screws. After many years of service the wing bolts stripped out the wing inserts so I replaced them with brass threaded inserts. Now the screws stay in place better and have more holding power. I posted a photo of this on the TF Corsair ARF thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/show...&postcount=582

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 05-01-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:09 AM
Sizemore N

CK1, I looked at what you were talking about the elliptical washer and the screw holes were already towards the trailing Edge. So I reversed it to see what it would do and it allowed the gear to close up tight in the wing, but created another problem the gear would not fully lock in the down position. The scissor arms would not go past Center and lock not enough travel in the forward position. So I put it back the way it was the gear will now go down and lock like it did before but I have the play in the retracted position took a little foam put it in the wheel well to absorb the play so the gear isn't bouncing around. Thanks for your help in all of this.

Norman
Old 06-06-2019, 05:49 AM
Chewy 76

Has anyone thought of using a DA70. I wonder if center wing could be modified to take a canister.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:06 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Doubtful. The center section spar is aluminum. You could remove some to clear the cannister, but it would compromise its strength.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.